This is just one of many sculptural stone details at Morley House, the façade retention scheme on Regent Street, and part of The Crown Estate. As well as designing the interior architecture, MSMR are also overseeing the restoration and preservation of the existing stone façades for the estate, working alongside the contractor Kier and stone specialists Paye & Harrison Goldman.
Access from the recently installed scaffold allowed us to get up close to some of the original Beaux-Arts decorative features which include a lion’s head, a flower covered helmet, a roman gladiator torso and many detailed friezes (pictured below). Some of the stone mouldings that have been in sheltered positions were found looking as crisp today as they were when they were installed in 1924, though others have suffered from the effects of weather and pollution.
MSMR is providing a full architectural service to the residential element of the development, which sits in the same block as previous MSMR project, Albany House.